American actress Marla Gibbs is best remembered for portraying Florence Johnston in the CBS sitcom The Jeffersons. Gibbs started her career in the theatre after being born in Chicago, Illinois. She made her television debut in 1970 and later appeared in Tyler Perry’s The Family That Preys (1996) and The First Wives Club (1996). (2008).
Marla Gibbs’s Life Story
Margaret Theresa Bradley, Marla Gibbs’ birth name, was Margaret Theresa Bradley on June 14, 1931. She was born in Chicago, Illinois, a city in the United States. She holds American citizenship.
She was conceived by her mother Ophelia Birdie and her father Douglas Bradley. Her younger sisters are two. She practices Christianity and is of African American origin. Gemini is her astrological sign.
She attended high school at Wendell Phillips Academy, among other institutions. After completing high school in 1949, she left for Detroit, Michigan, to enroll in Peters Business School.
Zodiac Sign, Age, and Birthday
Marla Gibbs was born on a Sunday and celebrates her birthday on June 14th. She’s 91 years old now. Marla’s natal flower is either a rose or honeysuckle, and her solar sign is Gemini.
Size And Height Of Marla Gibbs
Marla Gibbs stands at roughly 1.73 meters. Her actual weight is somewhere around 59 kg. She is built like most people. Her hair is a similar dark brown color to her eyes. She is straight in her sexual preferences.
Husband of Marla Gibbs?
Jordan Gibbs was the first husband of Marla Gibbs. In 1955, the two made their union legal. Together, they have three kids. They are boys Dorian and Joseph and daughter Angela. Angela Gibbs, their daughter, is also an actor.
Sanford and Sons were one of the television shows and films in which Angela starred. In 1973, Marla and Jordan got divorced.
- Prior to starting her acting career, Marla Gibbs worked for the US as a reservations agent. Later, she relocated to Los Angeles.
- She landed her first acting gig in the blaxploitation movies Sweet Jesus and Preacherman in 1973. She portrayed the family’s maid, Florence Johnston, in the CBS comedy series The Jeffersons. She was also making her television debut. She got a break in the entertainment business thanks to the part.
- From its debut in 1975 until its cancellation in 1985 after 11 seasons, she was a regular on the program.
- For her work, she got one Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actress—Series, Miniseries, or Television Film and five Primetime Emmy nominations for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series.
- She returned to her role as Florence Johnston in Checking In, a brief The Jeffersons spinoff, in 1981.
- She made a comeback in 2019 playing Florence in Live in Front of a Studio Audience: Norman Lear’s All in the Family and The Jeffersons. She later played the title role in the NBC comedy 227. The sitcom was also co-produced by her. The show ended in 1990 after 116 episodes.
- She played Hattie Mae Hughley in the sitcom The Hughleys from 1998 to 2002.
- She played Grandma Eddy in the sitcom The First Family from 2012 to 2013. She has made a guest or recurrent character appearances in over 45 television shows.
- She has made nearly 30 film appearances throughout her career. The Meteor Man, Lost & Found, The Visit, The Brothers, Madea’s Witness Protection, Grantham & Rose, and Lemon are a few of his well-known movies.
- Gibbs is also a singer who has released a number of albums. She managed Marla’s Memory Lane Jazz and Supper Club in South Central Los Angeles from 1981 to 1999.
How much is Marla Gibbs worth?
One of the more seasoned actresses in the business is Marla Gibbs. She has already had an acting career for more than 50 years. She has played main or supporting roles in more than 30 movies and 45 television programs.
She is also a vocalist who has put out a lot of CDs. She has amassed wealth through her job in the entertainment sector. Her current net worth is thought to be approximately $4 million.
- She was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in July 2021.
- Her late sister Susie Garrett was a performer as well.
- At the Leimert Park Village Book Fair in Los Angeles, California, she paid homage to Ruby Dee and Maya Angelou in 2014.
- At Natalie Cole’s funeral at the West Angeles Church of God in Christ in Los Angeles, California, Gibbs and his old 227 co-stars Jackée Harry were there.