The acronym BIS stands for Bureau of Indian Standards. The National Standard Body of India is responsible for laying the foundation for and carrying out standards, product and system certification formats, testing and calibration services, etc.
It has five regional offices spread across Chandigarh, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, and Delhi in addition to its head office in New Delhi. As of 2015, Smt. Alka Panda is the Director-General of BIS.
BIS was created and put into operation on April 1st, 1987, thanks to a parliamentary act passed on November 26, 1986.
The Indian Standard Institution is its ancestor (ISI). The Indian Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food, and Public Distribution oversee its operations.
Objectives of BIS
- Progress on standardization that is coordinated and related to marking and quality certification.
- To promote and aid in the management of eminence and standardization.
- To create a national strategic shift toward standardization and integration of them with the growth of manufacturing and exports.
BIS Principal Activities
- Normative Formulation
- Format for Product Certification
- Format for Foreign Manufacturers Certification
- Format for Hall Marks
- Format for Laboratory Recognition
- Purchase Formats
- Consumer-related behaviors and actions
Advantages of BIS
- The numerous ways the BIS aids the national economy are listed below.
- It guarantees consumers access to safe, reliable, and high-quality goods.
- It lessens the risks to customers’ health.
- It promotes and aids alternatives to imports and exports.
- It coordinates and controls the sharp rise in the quantity or variety of options.
Read more: Verizon App Manager: Complete Guide in 2022!
Bis Training Facility
A BIS teaching facility, the National Institute of Training for Standardization (NITS), was founded in 1995. Its operations and implementations are being carried out from Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India.
The most important things NITS does are,
- Industry In-House and Public Training Program.
- International Training Program for Developing Nations, including those in the Commonwealth, etc.
- Training program for its staff and employees.
Read more: Mac Life Hacks 15 Best Life Hacks in 2022!
System Certification for Management
- IS/ISO 9001 Quality Management System Certification Scheme.
- IS/ISO 14001 Environmental Management System Certification Scheme
- IS 18001, which certifies occupational health and safety management systems
- IS 15000, Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Scheme
- IS/ISO 22000 Food Safety Management System Certification
- IS 15700 is the certification scheme for service quality management systems.
- IS/ISO 50001 Energy Management System Certification Scheme
- IS/ISO 13485, Medical Devices Management System Certification Scheme.
- IS 16001 is a certification scheme for social accountability management systems.
- Certified Integrated Management System Program.
- IS/ISO 39001, Road Traffic Safety Management System Certification Scheme
- Scheme for Ready-Mixed Concrete Certification.
- Comprehensive Milk Certification Program.
- IS/ISO 21101, Adventure Tourism Safety Management System Certification Scheme
- Food Safety Auditing in accordance with the 2018 Food Standards and Safety (Food Safety Audit) Regulations