Google Nest, previously named Google Home, developed by Google is a line of smart speakers. Users can use voice commands to interact with services through Google Assistant ( company’s virtual assistant). In 2016, the 1st device was launched in the US, and from 2017–2019, subsequent product releases occurred globally. There has been a lot of software updates and additional functionality added from time to time.
- Both in-house and third party services are integrated and allow Users to receive news updates entirely by voice.
- Control playback of videos or photos
- It allows users to listen to music.
- Integrated support for home automation is provided by Google Nest, which can control smart home appliances with the help of voice command.
Quick Updates Google Nest –
- In April 2017, brought multi-user support, where it could recognise six voices.
- In May 2017, multiple updates were made like hands-free phone calling at no cost in Canada and the US, the ability to add reminders and calendar appointments, proactive reminders ahead of scheduled events, Bluetooth audio streaming, and visual responses mobile devices.
- The original product had a cylindrical shape with coloured status LEDs on top.
- In October 2017, two additions were made to the product lineup.
- In October 2018, Google Home Hub released as a smart speaker with a 7-inch touchscreen.
- In May 2019, Google Home devices would be rebranded under the Google Nest banner.
Models Google Nest –
Original Google Home – This is a cylindrical speaker that is 5.62 inches tall and 3.79 inches in diameter. Coloured status LEDs in the device’s top surface, capacitive touch controls to start and stop the music and adjust the volume. To disable the microphone, a bottom is there in the back.
Google Home Mini (first generation) -This was released on October 19, 2017, and is a smaller pebble-like form factor around 4 inches in diameter, with a fabric top were white coloured status lights shine through. It has a mute switch, and micro USB is used to connect with power. It is available in colours like aqua, charcoal, coral, chalk.
Google Home Max – This released on December 11, 2017. It is a larger version of Google Home device with a USB Type-C connector intended for a wired ethernet adapter, an audio connector, and stereo speakers. It has two colours, charcoal and chalk.
Google Home Hub / Nest Hub – This released on October 9, 2018, which includes features a 7-inch touchscreen display that can provide visual feedback for queries.
Nest Hub Max – This is the larger version of Google Home Hub/ Nest Hub. It features a 10-inch display, larger speakers, and an integrated camera and released in September 2019.
Nest Mini (second generation) – This released on October 22, 2019. It includes an additional microphone, ultrasonic sensing, and a larger speaker.
Nest Audio – This released on September 30, 2020, with new design smart speakers.